As far as alertign software there's alot of free stuff for UNIX, big brother
is probably the most used. It is a bitch to configure though if you ask me.
I took the easy way out and bought servers alive for $99. It works on
NT/2000 and is easy to confiure and customizable. Try it out, you can
monitor 10 services as an eval.

http://www.woodstone.nu/salive/

I use mrtg and ntop  (ntop.org) to monitor LAN/WAN usage.