From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Chuck Larrieu
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 4:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How prevalent is ISL in the "real world"? [7:33758]

It might be an issue of installed base, or lack thereof. I believe recent
CatOS releases have corrected this, but for a long while, the Cat 400x
series did ISL on trunks, while doing 802.1q on ports. Older boxes, of
course, may only do ISL.

In these days of tight budgets it can be difficult to convince customers to
upgrade

absolutely, everyone should upgrade to the open standard. absolutely,
everyone should migrate from token ring to ethernet. absolutely, everyone
should eliminate native IPX, NetBEUI, and AppleTalk from their networks. ;->

Chuck

""Peter van Oene""  wrote in message
> What are the current advantages for running ISL over 802.1q?  I would
> expect its proprietary nature to be enough to warrant choosing against it.
>
> Pete
>

> At 03:47 PM 1/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Is ISL still widely used? Are there still many shops out there using it?
(I