>Regarding this command...
>"Default-information originate [always]"
>this is documented as saying...
>this generates the default route into OSPF even if the path to the default
>route goes down...
>and...
>even when the router has no default route, with the magic keyword "always"
it
>will create a "default route"...pointing to where??
>Q: What's the point of advertising a route if it is indeed DOWN? Isn't this
>like saying i know that Exit5 is closed but I'm gona keep directing all
>motorists to go to Exit 5 anyway?
>
>Please clarify this for me.
>
>Elmer

Imagine you have a fairly large OSPF area. If the default route goes
down, all the topological databases have to be updated and
propagated.  While if JUST the default route were involved, the
Dijkstra computation will not have to be run, there still will be
bandwidth and processor utilization.

If there is only one router generating default, and it goes down, the
traffic is going to fail anyway. To take your traffic analogy,
default-information always is indeed like directing the traffic
LEAVING THE AREA to Exit 5, but not otherwise disturbing those cars
that don't care about Exit 5.

If there's more than one default router, you definitely don't want
the always keyword.

Now--as far as where it points: "it depends".  All it points to is
the router generating default. That router may or may not have a
default route of its own -- it might be a default-free BGP router as
well as an ASBR. It could have a default route of its own that points
somewhere outside the AS or area.

AFAIK, if the router was default-free, you couldn't use
default-information originate without always, because the router
would never have a local default to meet the ALWAYS condition.   In
that case, you'd have to have BGP or a static route specify it, and
redistribute that route into OSPF.