Most CCIE's dont bother the TAC, they figure out the problem themselves!  :)

Im not sure if CCIE's get free support, but if you have a service contract,
and you are registered in CCO, they seem to respond a little faster to the
CCIE's (myself and a couple others have noticed that).  Personally, I try
not to open a case unless I think I have found an IOS bug or have a hardware
issue.  Granted, I have openned up my fair share of "stupid-cases" in the
past.  (The best one occuring pretty recently...I had a grey CPA 3640 router
and I was asking for the cookie file...needless to say, there is no such
thing as a cookie for the CPA 3640, all I had to do was load a new IOS image
onto it)

thanks,
-Brad Ellis
CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)