Ghost comes to mind. I use it often for this sort of thing. But it's really
an all or nothing proposition. You can not lift an application and the
install it somewhere else.

DoubleTake works well as a real time hot standby. I've used it with SQL and
some other applications.

I have heard of an application that you take a snapshot of the system,
install the new app, take a 2nd snapshot and builds an install file from it.
I think this is how Installshield works if I remember correctly. I never
used it myself, only been around the developers who were using it so dont
take it as gospel.

MikeS