This is actually a follow up to an ongoing issue we have that the group has
helped me with recently. My previous posts were titled '6509 roaming
disconnects' and I want to express up front that the suggestions given to
help the ports that were losing their link to recover faster are greatly
appreciated and have brought the negative affects of these drops down to a
tolerable level.

The group that we are supporting uses Solar Winds to monitor the network and
it is still showing from 2 to 10% packet loss on this LAN. The sniffer still
shows that there are most packets being retransmitted too fast, within about
5-10 milliseconds repeatedly, and I'm trying to find the formula that Solar
Winds uses to calculate packet loss. The hypothesis is that if the original
packet was retransmitted 25 times before the acknowledgment is received, and
that the acknowledgement was from maybe the second retransmit, that the
application discards the remaining 23 acknowledgements because they are not
needed and are possibly registered as packet loss. I have, and continue to,
searched the web looking for this info but know that there are many gurus on
this list and hoping that someone knows how these packet losses are
calculated.

Thank you all for your continuing education that you provide to us all.

Larry Puckette
Network Analyst CCNA,MCP,LANCP
Temple Inland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]