If you're not changing the features, then you won't need to put a new
activation key in.
If you are changing the features then you will have a new activation key, so
you don't need the existing one.
I used to cut and paste the activation key all the time "just in case" but
never used it.
I seem to remember some images not showing the activation key in show ver. I
don't think I ever found it. I just took what I thought was a risk at the
time.

The free DES image is a bit of a mystery to me at the moment. Used it a few
times to allow PDM, but not sure why Cisco do it. Who knows - you could
maybe even upgrade a Failover Pix using the DES image :-)

Gaz