Here's an interesting twist to that question:  If your switch/router is a
6500 running Native IOS, can you span ports that are configured as router
interfaces as opposed to switchports?

I'm using a 6509 with Native IOS, and I have a server connected to a port
configured as a "switchport".  I was able to "monitor" that port on another
port, also configured as a "switchport".  I wonder if it's possible to
"monitor" an ethernet port that's being used as a routing interface (i.e.
not a switchport).  Time to try it out..... too bad that 6509 is a
production box =)

Mike W.