After siple lab experiment I need to disagree with your statement.

> cisco by default prefers ebgp over ibgp.  it should not, by default, enjoy
> the ibgp routes learned from the peer over the ebgp learned routes.

I belive that you are overinterpreting meaning of administrative
distance.

You are right that aministrative distance of eBGP routes is 20
versus 200 for iBGP routes, but in the situation when BGP process
receives 2 routes for the same prefix, it applies first standart
BGP selection mechanism:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml
and after best route is selected it is going to be inserted into
routing table with specific administrative distance.

I have replicated following scenario in my lab.

There are 2 external ASes 1, and 2, originating
prefix 1.1.1.0/24 and advertising it to 2 routers
r1 and r2 via eBGP.

Routers r1 and r2 are iBGP peers.

Prefix 1.1.1.0/24 originated from AS2 has longer AS_PATH
(as prepend applied 3 times)

Please see folowing commands executed on r2:

r2#sh ip bgp
BGP table version is 4, local router ID is 172.168.32.1
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i -
internal
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*  1.1.1.0/24       10.1.1.6                 0             0 2 2 2 2 i
*>i                 10.1.1.8                 0    100      0 1 i
r2#sh ip rou
r2#sh ip route
Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
       D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
       N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
       E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
       i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS
inter area
       * - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR
       P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

     1.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
B       1.1.1.0 [200/0] via 10.1.1.8, 00:09:26
     172.168.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C       172.168.32.0 is directly connected, Loopback0
     10.0.0.0/16 is subnetted, 2 subnets
C       10.10.0.0 is directly connected, Serial0
C       10.1.0.0 is directly connected, Ethernet0
r2#

As you can see, BGP process on r2 selects route learned
from its iBGP peer over route learned via eBGP,
and this route is eventualy inserted to routing table
with administrative distance of 200

Correct me if I am ovrlooking something,
and thank you for excelent idea for testing.

Przemek