From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Keith Woodworth
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 8:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IP subnetting on DSlam equipment. [7:34564]

Have a question about the above.

I feel I understand IP subnetting well enough (CIDR et al.) but something
has come up that I dont know how it would work.

Our original DSL offering 4.5 yrs ago (which we still have and use) gives
the subscriber 3 static IP's.

It works by putting the sub on a Vlan, on a Cat5500 w/ two RSM's. A /29
subnet works out by using one each for the RSM's, one for the gateway, 3
for the subscriber. Thats the way it was designed...

The last DSL we installed uses PPPoE (evil stuff but seems to work). Now
we are on the latest gear (6260 DSlam, 7204 to aggregate) which management
wants to give each subscriber a /29 as well but instead of 3 IP's the user
will get 5 because of the way the equipment works. I think that is way too
many IP's for a residential user

I see some cable co's and other DSL providers that provision static IP's
say the subscriber gets 1 IP with extra IP's costing $$$.

How do they do this w/o subnetting? Do they do something with the CPE
device w/regards to filtering or something? I'm kinda wondering how they
go about that. Or are they subnetting in some fangled way?

We got this equipment working last week and Ive been giving out /30's for
the few people we've got on it for testing at the moment as they only have
1 computer in the house anyway.

Anyone have an idea on how something like that can be done?

Thanks,
Keith