Well, you're close.  The tag will get removed if the VLAN information is
necessary in a given location (switch).  In other words, the tag is only
permanently removed by the last switch to "touch" it before the frame
actually arrives at the final destination.  If a given switch is not the
last switch to touch the frame, the tag will be reapplied to the frame
before it leaves the fabric and gets forwarded to the next switch in line.

Since routing (Layer 3 switching, etc.) is the mechanism to move packets
back and forth from the PIX, the 6509 will be the last switch to touch the
frame so the tag would be removed by the time it reaches the PIX.  In any
case, since the PIX uses routing to discriminate between networks, not VLAN
tagging, it would have no knowledge of the tag.  A layer 2 bridge will
forward the tagged frame and maybe not recognize the tag but the PIX being a
Layer 3/4 device may not even pass a tagged frame, let alone recognize the
tag.

I would think that your best chance for the PIX to forward tagged frames
would be with Dot1Q as it embeds the tag inside of the frame whereas ISL
encapsulates the frame, which the PIX might take exception.  Of course,
stateful inspection might not like a Dot1Q frame either.

I am curious about what scenario you have that you would want to pass tagged
packets outside of the PIX?  The only scenario I can think of is you are
using a PIX between LANs.  Is this correct?

Rik