Okay, nevermind!  I discovered what was occurring.  I was
misunderstanding my own configuration.  On a remote router I
was redistributing IS-IS into OSPF.  So, when my local
interface--running IS-IS--went down, this triggered an LSA
update remotely, which in turn caused the OSPF demand circuit
to come up.

The scenario is setup as if the local side will be doing the
dialing, but in practice that's just not going to happen
because of the topology.  With this setup, the remote side will
always be the side to bring up the demand circuit even if the
triggering event occurs locally.

Maybe I should quit for the night and get some sleep.  ;-)

John

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, John Neiberger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:

> Okay, maybe it doesn't quite qualify as a mystery but it just
> occurred to me that I don't know what actually triggers a
> demand circuit to come up.  I *thought* I did until I ran
into
> a new scenario tonight that confused me.
>
> In this scenario, IS-IS and OSPF are running on a router, but
> only one interface is participating in OSPF and that is the
one
> configured as a demand circuit.  So, under normal operations
> there are no OSPF routes in the routing table, only IS-IS
> routes.
>
> In the usual situation where OSPF is running on multiple
> interfaces, I assumed it was some function of OSPF that
> triggered the demand circuit to come up.  In that situation
> there is an interface running OSPF that is aware that the
> adjacency went down and that could trigger the demand circuit.
>
> However, in this case, only IS-IS is running on the main
> interface.  What is it that actually causes the OSPF demand
> circuit to come up?  I don't see how it could simply be a
> topology change since OSPF isn't aware of the IS-IS topology.
>
> So, specifically, what is occurring?  Perhaps I'm being dense
> but I just don't see which mechanism is responsible for this.
>
> Someone, please put me out of my misery.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
> John

> Get your own "800" number
> Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more