It requires 3 years of experience in security work--provable experience. The
Common Body of Knowledge is extensive. I've seen a number of job ads that
look for the cert, though I cannot say that they really needed someone with
that level of knowledge.

CISSP Certification Examination – Applicant Requirements
CISSP Certification candidates must meet the following requirements prior to
taking the CISSP examination.

Subscribe to the (ISC)2 Code of Ethics.
Have at least 3 years of cumulative work experience in one or more of the
ten test domains in information systems [IS] security. Valid experience
includes information systems security-related work performed as a
practitioner, auditor, consultant, vendor, investigator or instructor, or
that which requires IS security knowledge and involves direct application of
that knowledge.

http://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?page=43

HTH

Annlee