From: nrf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 9:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MPLS and VPN Architectures book [7:34792]

The book is all-right, it's not great.  It's OK as an intro book to the
subject.  Unfortunately many of the more complex topics in later chapters
are written in such garbled way as to be almost unintelligible, particularly
some of the 'carrier of carrier' and 'Internet access' stuff, and those are
precisely the topics that need to be as clear as possible because of their
complexity.   I swear, some of the grammar is so convuleted that the only
way to really understand everything in those chapters is to already know it
in the first place, but then if you already know it, why are you reading the
book at all?

The book is also missing any mention of probably the most important reason
to use MPLS at all: traffic-engineering.  Unfortunately there is no really
good Cisco book about this subject (it is covered briefly in IP Quality of
Service, but not in any serious depth).  The best stuff I've ever found on
TE is, ahem, Juniper course material.

But like I said, a decent intro book on the subject.

""Caplan M""  wrote in message
> I'm reading it and so far I'm pleased with it. I haven't got to the VPN
> stuff yet though, but its given me a good grounging in tag switching and
MPLS.