Let me share what made the light dawn for me about BGP:  first
understanding the problem it was meant to solve, not how the protocol
proper works or how to configure it on Cisco or Juniper.

It's a reasonable simplification to say that BGP is policy
controlled.  Therefore, it makes sense to understand what those
policies are.  I started with the now-obsolete RIPE-181 document, but
there now is a Routing Policy Specification Language and a fair bit
of tutorials about it. See http://www.radb.net/  and  for a wide
range of sources, and also browse the archives of
http://www.nanog.org. Look for both RPSL and BGP at NANOG.
Another tutorial is at
http://ncne.nlanr.net/training/techs/2001/0128/presentations/200101-prior2/.

In my new service provider book, due out in April, I found it a very
different approach to Halabi:  start with the customer (or provider)
problem definition, map it to RPSL (at least informally), and then
configure based on RPSL.

There is a freeware conversion program called RtConfig (part of the
RAtoolset) that will take RPSL and produce about 80% of the BGP code
for an actual router. You can download the RAToolset and get other
information at http://www.isi.edu/ra.   RtConfig best supports Cisco
command language, but will also generate GateD, Bay RS, and RsD
configurations. I don't know if there is a version specific to
Juniper, but GateD configuration language is quite close to Juniper.
The RAtoolset runs on most *NIX boxes.