>Agreed, these input from Howard are very helpful.
>
>Can you, or anyone out there in the cisco development community,  show some
>light about this basic redistribution mechanism? Sharing those information
>shouldn't hurt Cisco at all, but will help Cisco's user community a lot.
>From technical point of view, I believe Cisco's competitors such as Juniper
>already have deep understanding of Cisco's IOS, (when you think about the
>fact that quite a few pioneers in the network field are already working for
>Juniper).
>
>Just a side thought.
>
>James

That's a difficult call. It's common knowledge that one can make a
nuclear weapon, the basic mechanisms are known, but the specific
techniques of manufacturing a miniaturized bomb are properly secret.

How to distribute routes and build a routing table is common
knowledge.  How to do that fast and with resource efficiency tend to
be held tightly.

The external behavior of a router can be discussed, and perhaps Cisco
might be willing to come up with some discussion if there's enough
customer demand.  To make this happen, a number of real customers
need to ask their sales reps and SEs.  The developers are unlikely to
initiate this writeup.

I know that at Nortel, where many of the people who had written
original code had left the company (and no, we didn't have a single
IOS), I had to read through code to find details such as this.