Route maps are essentially built around an "if then else(if)" logic. the
point of their activation is the point of their inception.

therefore if you were to have a route-map such as:

route-map eigrp_tag_igrp permit 10
 match tag X
 set metric 10000 100 255 1 1500

and the redistribute statement:

router igrp 100
redistribute eigrp 50 route-map eigrp_tag_igrp

then the logic flow is:

1) take a route learned from eigrp 50
2)if the tag for that route is X then set the metric as stated and
redistribute it into IGRP 100
3) else don't redistribute

in this case, only those routes with a tag of X learned from eigrp 50 will
be redistributed into igrp ( subject to the classfulness of the route )

sometimes it can be a little difficult to determine where exactly things
happen in the various processes on a router. for example, linear
redistribute seems not to occur at all, even if that does not seem logical.
( can't redistribute from rip to igrp to ospf an the same router, not and
get anything coherent or predictable as a result ) however, in this case,
the logic appears to be straightforward, so far as I can tell.

HTH

Chuck