To be honest, I don't have a definitive answer.  I did hear from someone on
the list that this is because NAT is often used as a security tool as well
as a method to save public IP addresses, so Cisco decided that it would be a
good idea to only allow telnet if you did this additional mapping, I think
Ejay was the one who told me that.  Theoretically there is no reason you
shouldn't be able to telnet right to the serial interface's IP address.  As
far as the extendable command, there is  a description from CCO at the
bottom, I always use it at the end of a translation, unless I know that I
will not be mapping that local inside IP address to any other IP.  If you
don't use the keyword, you will not be able to map the private IP address to
more that one public IP address, this is useful for situations where you
have 2 providers, one as a backup lets say, and you want your mail server to
be mapped to one IP from the primary provider and one IP from the secondary
provider.  See below, hope this helps.

2511(config)#ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 2.2.2.2
2511(config)#ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 1.1.1.1
% 192.168.1.1 already mapped (192.168.1.1 -> 2.2.2.2)
[No extendable keyword specified, so the router doesn't let you map that
same private IP address to another public IP.]
2511(config)#no ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 2.2.2.2
[Remove the original mapping, then use the extendable keword]
2511(config)#ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 2.2.2.2 extendable

2511(config)#ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 1.1.1.1 extendable
2511(config)#
[With the extendable keyword you can map it to 2 different IP addresses.]

>From CCO:

"Extendable" static translations

The extendable keyword allows the user to configure several ambiguous static
translations, where an ambiguous translations are translations with the same
local or global address.

ip nat inside source static   extendable