Don't think of the Class C at all....if you have a /25, that means that, of
the 32 bits in the address, the most significant 25 represent the network
address. Dotted decimal notation is for human convenience, nothing more. The
address is a string of binary digits coming over the wire, and it is read as
a string by the device. The most significant 25 of the string will be the
network, the remaining 7 bits will be the specific host within that network.

Having said all that--

Dotted decimal groups those 32 bits into 4 convenient sets of 8. A /25 means
that the first 3 groups of 3 (for a total of 24) *plus the next bit*
represent the network; the last 7 bits represent the host. Among the set of
hosts which belong to any one of the /25 networks available, the first
address is the network number, and the last address is the network's
broadcast address.

That's why you have 2^7 - 2 usable host addresses: 2^7 because you have 7
bits available; less 2 to account for the network address and broadcast
address.

Does that help?

Annlee