Justin,

This is typically used in an Internet/NAT situation where you are allowing
something from the Internet to come back in, only if it's a reply to a
request that originated from inside your network.  For instance, with a
router connected to the Internet, you typically want an access-list applied
to your Internet-facing port that denies incoming traffic, as you don't want
them trying to walk all over your router or network.  However, this same
access list will drop valid replies to requests from clients inside your
network, i.e. http replies, etc.

With the 'established' option, you can tell the router with access lists
"drop everything inbound from the Internet, except replies to requests made
from inside my network".

Typically, people do this because they don't want to pay for a firewall, but
this isn't the best thing to do.  If you need to set this up for someone for
Internet access, you need to dig a little deeper into it because if my
memory serves me right, this command may or may not work with UDP traffic
and only TCP traffic.  I'm not sure and might be totally wrong, so you need
to check.

Hope this helps,

Dave