IMO, there is no reason for any organization connected to the Internet not
to run IDS.  There is an increasing trend in the security arena away from
formal risk analysis/cost benefit methodologies towards one of implementing
"best practices".  There are several reasons for this:

1) Formal risk analysis methodologies generally take a long time and cost a
lot of money.  There are abbreviated versions of the process, but it's still
a significant effort to do these correctly.

2) In the end, the effort may not be all that helpful.  The problem is that
a risk analysis is based on cost/benefit numbers that don't really map to
hackers and vandals.  You may not consider your web server to be worth much
since it has only public data, but it may be very valuable to someone who
can use it to attack other sites.  Also, it is nearly impossible to weigh
the risk of a loss of customer confidence in your company.  If your site is
publicly compromised, it doesn't matter much whether companies do financial
transactions through your web-site or not, they probably will have a very
dim view of your organization if you can't keep your web site secure.

3) There are efforts underway to formalize best practices for security for
anyone connected to the Internet. (for example, see
http://www.cisecurity.org/)  It is logical to assume that as these efforts
become widespread, a company may very well be held financially responsible
if they do not follow these practices under traditional business standards
of "due care".  If your site is compromised and is used to compromise other
sites, it is likely you will be sued and lose.  If your site becomes a warez
site, software companies may sue you for supporting piracy, and you will
lose.  There is simply too much information on good security practices and
too many open source tools that can be deployed for almost zero cost for any
organization to continue to claim ignorance or budget as an excuse for not
implementing basic security measures.

Given this, the question is not "should someone deploy IDS",  the question
is "what IDS should we deploy".  Snort is an excellent choice for the cost
and has a sizable installed base of admins to help newbies.  If budget
permits, there are lot's of decent products to choose from and one can
certainly mix and match open source with commercial tools to suit almost any
budget.

Regards,
Kent