I worked with Alteon Products. I will have to say, I have never been
more impressed with a piece of equipment. Well the functionality anyway,
some of the switches seem to have a port or too now and again to be
totally honest. There was SO much you could do on their web switches,
Global load balancing, CIR for web sites. I even attended the 3 day
school/class for content switching by alteon. Now Nortel bought them,
and I hav not heard much about them in the networking world. Now I also
see they have an SSL accelerator, something my company is looking at.
Well now Alteon was bought by Nortel, I was never a big fan of Nortel,
but they seem to be trying to build up their arseonal. Being that there
is so much competition in networking equipment, I am not sure of
Nortel's future. In my opinion, Cisco will prevail, because they didn't
forget one fact, that you need to have organized and good training and
documentation material for your products. Overall, I think the programs
they have for CCNP, CCIE security etc, they did a pretty good job. I
tried to look into Nortel, to do some certification. First there site
was a mess, to try to even learn about what certification they had, you
got the run around. They are just so unorganized. I think they are
hoping people will use the wizards to work on these routers.

The guys that worked at Alteon came out to our site for a demonstration.
These days, most engineers that I have met at sales presentations were
just pulled off a produce truck. But these guys really knew everything
about the products. Oh, and the documentation they gave me was awesome.
At this point maybe you're thinking I work for Alteon. I don't. But I am
just wondering, how a great company, with a great product and great
documentation. What will happen to them now they are bought by Nortel, a
company that has bad documentation, doest really care what they slap on
their site. No real certification track, and really doesn't have cutting
edge technology in there products (in my opinion). I think Nortel gets
so caught up in one area of a technology, that the forget about the rest
of their products. For instance, they spend so much time and energy on
wireless, when it was in its infancy. That's wonderful to put a lot of
energy in future technology, but have your basic products right first.