how does the router know?  I would imagine the router OS checks the BGP
origin. If I am AS 559 and I receive a BGP route that originates in AS 559,
it is either iBGP, or I have a loop. If AS 559 is the only AS in the AS
path, it follows that it is an iBGP route, and therefore is assigned an AD
of 200.

make sense?