Okay, I just got off the phone with a vendor and I have a better handle
on what they're actually proposing.  Here's the scoop:

They offer a couple of different variations of the MPLS solution.  The
first solution requires that we readdress our entire network to match
their addressing scheme.  This allows our branches to have any-to-any
connectivity.  Our routers do not need to be aware of MPLS.  The
vendor's network accepts frame relay encapsulated connections so our
routers still think they're using frame relay.  To make use of the
multiple priorities within their network we use CAR or route-maps or
whatever to set the TOS  in the IP headers. Since each branch router
will have only a single exit point, a single static route will suffice
and no routing protocol is needed.

Because of the readdressing issue we're just not interested in that
variation.  The second solution allows us to keep our existing
addressing and they emulate our current frame relay PVCs within their
network.  This does not allow us to have any-to-any connectivity but it
still allows us to use multiple priorities within their cloud.  As
expected, we'd need to continue to run our IGP of choice.

Another downside is that their list pricing is roughly twice what we're
paying for our frame network.  :-)  Not much incentive there!

Still, it's an interesting thought and it could be useful to companies
who want to use VoIP but have a lot of locations.  They need to bring
that pricing down, though.  At that price point there's no way we'd even
consider them.

John

>>> "Joseph Brunner"  2/27/02 11:09:20 AM >>>
i was pitched this very thing recently by wcom and qwest.. basically it
is
only as secure as your carriers.. if some "f*cks up" and imports
something
into your VRF, either a default, another vpn, or whatever you security
is finished.. plug banks are supposed to encrypt over IPSEC, so why
bother
running MPLS (come one how much diff-serv can do you on frac T-1's
anyway)
if you are just going to IPSEC the packets between pix's or vpn
concentrators
anyway.. MPLS right now for 100 sites, just can't be trusted. I used to
work
for ISP's, everyone there was a perp.. trust my vpn security to some
loser
ISP.
No thanks

read this