Bytes are not part of the OSI model until at least the presentation
layer (I can't remember whether there is an ASN1 byte datatype).  Comms
engineers talk about octets but note that by the time we get down to
layer 2 we start to encounter techniques such as bit-stuffing, so a
frame may not even have a multiple of eight bits in it.  So from this we
must assume that there is no conversion from bits to bytes or
vice-versa.
rgds
Marc