not directly related to electing DR/BDR, but i use loopbacks for management.
it's the ip i associate in my hosts file for ssh access.  also with
loopbacks i can control the ip for easier troubleshooting since i use a
numbering scheme where the 2nd octet indicates which physical location the
router is in and the 3rd octet is what kind of function it serves (core vs
distribution vs access); makes it a hell of a lot easier when viewing the
ospf database and i wouldn't have this luxury otherwise.

luckily we don't have many ospf routers attached to ethernet links, though
we do have a lot of sites spread out, so this is a fairly scalable way for
me to control which router is a DR.

bt

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].;