I don't have anything to check this with at the moment, but IIRC, you'll
know the status of the interface by the serial indicators.  If the link
is really down but the CSU/DSU is up then you'll see DTR=up but
CTS=down.

I'm not about to test this at work, though.  :-)

John

>>> "Steven A Ridder"  2/28/02 1:33:41 PM

I'm almost 100% sure in my head, but I need to make sure of this.  I
don't
have any CSU's to test this on.

If I have a router that connects to an external CSU/DSU and the far
side of
the CSU goes down (the side that connect to a smartjack or even
further
upstream), the router will know the link is down because it isn't
receiving
any keepalives from it's gateway, right?  The voltage along the local
V.35
cable won't keep the router up right?

--
RFC 1149 Compliant