This can be automated by using modem definitions.
(at the console)
conf t
modemcap edit newmodem misc &FS0=1

line aux 0 (assuming you are using aux 0, was not specified)
modem autoconfigure type newmodem
flowcontrol hard
modem InOut
transport input all
login (optional, but you don't want people to dial in and get an exec prompt
without logging in)
password whatever (same reason as above)

Now whenever the modem resets, it will be reset into autoanswer waiting for
1 ring.

Unless you have a cabling problem that should get it working. Make sure you
can reverse telnet to the modem.
Since you didn't give a model number, I can't tell you what the rev telnet
port will be for your router. Look it up at www.cisco.com. 2600's are port
2065 for aux 0. 2500's are port 2001 if I recall correctly.
If you cannot rev telnet, check your cables. You should be using a rollover
to a RJ45 -> (9pin or 25 pin) cisco adapter with "modem" somewhere on the
label.
You should be able to type commands directly to the modem and get an "OK".

-Jason
www.CCIEwannabe.com - Afforable Remote Cisco Lab Access.