I built the bgp lab on page 302 of halabi's book (Internet Routing
Architectures).If you do not have the book, youmay still be able to answer
the question. A simple diagram is as follows

 RTA-----------------RTF  ===============AS3
 |                      \
 |                       \
 RTC  =====AS1          RTE-------------RTD   ===========AS2

 However I did not use bgp multihop. I had an ebgp session from RTE to RTF.
All routers except for rtc were running ospf with all networks included.
When bgp network statements were added to RTA via redistribute connected
command and to RTE via the network 192.68.12.0 and network 192.68.5.0
commands. I thought I would have full bgp connectivity to all networks from
RTC even though synchronisation was on on each router.

RTE bgp table had all routes in it with the correct as paths as well as all
being best. Same was true for RTF, however RTA did not receive the
192.68.12.0 or 192.68.5.0 routes as best from RTF which prevented RTA from
sending them to RTC.

rtf#show ip bgp nei 172.16.1.1 adv
BGP table version is 6, local router ID is 172.16.1.2
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i -
internal
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*> 192.68.5.0      192.68.5.2                0             0 2 i
*> 192.68.12.0     192.68.5.2              0             0 2 i

rta#show ip bgp nei 172.16.1.2 rout
BGP table version is 6, local router ID is 172.16.1.2
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i -
internal
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
* 192.68.5.0      192.68.5.2                0             0 2 i
* 192.68.12.0     192.68.5.2              0             0 2 i

This seems very strange.

I believe that even with synchronisation on RTA should still advertise the
routes to RTC because it has all the routes in the routing table from the
ospf processes.

please advise
thanks Grant