This might sound really strange, but, if you are using a normal D25way
connector (v.24) see if it works when pin 13 isn't connected.

I once had all sorts of problems with IBM controllers both 5394 / 5494 and
3174 / 3274, after hours of troubleshooting finally ran through a breakout
box and found that some of the controllers didn't like pin 13. Don't know
why, but as soon as I removed it they all worked fine.

I wasn't able to nail it down to a particular device / sw / fw combination
but it worked for me. I suggest doing it with a breakout box before you
start breaking pins with snip nosed pliars though ! :)

Jon.