If I understand your topology correctly, switches 3 and 4 share an Ethernet
segment. If I remember Spanning Tree correctly, one of these two will be the
"designated bridge" for that segment. That bridge will be forwarding packets
toward the root. All other bridges on that segment (in this case, the other
switch) will block their link if it creates a loop.

I believe the designated bridge is the one on that segment with the lowest
priority. If the priority is the same, the one with the lowest bridge ID
(mac address) becomes the designated bridge.

Changing the path cost on the link between 3 and 4 shouldn't have much
affect on the switch that is the designated bridge - it will be forwarding
anyway. Changing the path cost on the other switch should affect which of
its links are forwarding and which are blocked.

My guess is you don't have to actually change the path cost on both switches
on floor 1 and floor 4. I think if you change the path cost on one of those
two switches (the designated bridge) it actually won't have any affect (and
thus you really don't need to...). You can also try setting which bridge is
the designated one by making its priority lower than the other one - but
DON'T make its priority lower than the root!

Rob.
CCIE 6922

http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.