Hello,

I figured I'd let everyone know I've passed my final exam for my CCNP. Below
are answers to FAQ. Please note they are my personal opinions, not general
consensus.

1.      What order did you take the tests?

CCNA (07/00)
Switching (11/00)
Routing (04/01)
Remote Access (10/01)
Support (03/02)

2.      Why so long between the tests, did you fail any?

I've never failed an exam in my life. I've taken 13 so far. I study for each
one and make sure I'm prepared. Unfortunately due to work, other obligations
and procrastination I didn't pass them sooner. It does make things more
difficult in some ways, but since I work with Cisco equipment daily, it
helps me keep fresh.

3.      Which exams were the hardest?

They are listed easiest to hardest.
CCNA
Switching
Remote Access
Support
Routing

Support was more difficult than it had to be, since I waited so long between
tests and it has content based on knowing those other areas.

4.      What books and study methods did you use?

CCNA - Sybex
Switching - CiscoPress
Routing - CiscoPress
Remote Access - CiscoPress and ExamCram
Support - Sybex

Everything was self-study and on the job experience. I also use
brainbuzz.com for a final review before taking the test to make sure I
didn't miss anything, overall I wasn't too impressed with their content
though. Reading about how other people passed did help to give me
confidence. Each person will find a different study method that works for
them. I've never taken a training class for any of my certifications.

5.      How many years of experience do you have?

8 Years of IT experience as follows:
3 Years, Routing and Switching firewalls etc
3 Years, Servers RAS etc
2 Years, Desktop Support, Computer builds, Retail computer sales

6.      What's next?

Tough decision, I need to upgrade my MCSE (UGGG) since I still have to use
those skills. However I think the CCIE is of much more benefit to me. I have
to make sure I'm committed and really study for the CCIE. My work is going
to have training for the W2K stuff for our entire group so I've got to learn
it one way or the other. I'm going to try and get some training such as a
CCIE bootcamp. If anyone knows of a good bootcamp let me know. I'm leaning
toward pursuing my CCIE, but it'll be a tough road. I don't believe in
quitting, so if I start down that road I know I won't quit, but the high
probability of Lab failure frightens me. I hate to fail anything.

7.      Did you get a raise etc?

Nope, as a matter of fact no one in our department is getting a raise at all
this year. I guess some of us are just happy to have a job. We were told we
should get year-end bonuses this year, something we didn't get last year.

8.      Who paid for the training etc?

The last few tests my employer has paid for, but the books I've paid for
simply so that they belong to me and I can keep them for reference.

I hope that helps anyone out there studying. Keep at it. The tests
themselves weren't as hard as I would have hoped. Passing on them is about
700 on a scale of 300 to 1000. That's pretty low, but at the same time the
quality of the questions was inferior to other exams. If you have a good
reading comprehension level you can probably gain 100 points off just that.
Maybe that's a skill they are looking for in certified people though.

Robert Fowler - And here they are..... A+ MCSE CCNP