I am not sure if I understood the question completely but
I think you are trying to distinguish the L3 switching and
Routing?

Routing and Switching are two different functions taking place
within router. Routing takes place before switching can occur.
So, router first has to determine "where" this packet needs to go,
and which interface is headed towards that network, and that is
"routing". Only after that, it will actually "move" the packet to that
exit interface and that is "switching".

Nadeem
======