From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Ole Drews Jensen
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 10:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Question on PIX 501 [7:38246]

Hi Justin,

When you ping, you use the ICMP protocol.

When A pings B, A sends ICMP echo-request (number 8) to B, and B sends ICMP
echo-reply (number 0) back to A.

The PIX does not allow ICMP traffic to come from the outside to the inside,
so to change that, you will need to open up for ICMP number 0 (echo-reply).

The command for that is:

        conduit permit icmp any any 0

This is a good way to do it, because then you allow outside devices to reply
to your request, but they are not allowed to do a PING themself. If you want
PING to work both ways, simply use this command:

        conduit permit icmp any any

Hth,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~