At 11:16 PM 3/13/02, Chuck wrote:
>interesting way to put the question.  but......
>
>172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16 are CIDR notation.

It's also simply a notation used by humans to save on the typing required.

You will often see the private class B addresses listed as

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255.

That's the same thing as 172.16.0.0/12. Notice that the first 12 bits are
the same in all the network addresses in the 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
range, so why not save on some typing?

Priscilla

>any subnets within those
>ranges would default to the classfull values based upon the first couple of
>bits. remembering that 0 in the first position is class A, 10 in the first
>two positions indicate class B, and 110 in the first three positions
>indicate class C. RIP and IGRP are classful, and would note the classful
>values.
>
>and my apologies for putting this answer into the BGP thread. The news
>server ate my post, and......
>

>""Cebuano""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ladies and gents,
> > If you are all aware of the RFC on Private IP Address allocation, it
> > specifies
> > that 172.16.0.0 uses /12 and 192.168.0.0 uses /16.
> > Now does this mean our old friends RIP and IGRP are "aware" of this when
>they
> > perform the "First-Octet Rule" to apply the mask for these network ranges
> > accordingly?
> >
> > Please someone clarify this subtle issue.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Elmer

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com