At 04:15 PM 3/14/02, zapeta zape wrote:
>Hello,
>Can anyone guide me where to find a complete list of the average  packet
>size protocol. I know that ip is 1024

IP usually use 1500 for protocols that send blocks of data, such as FTP and
HTTP. On the other hand, a lot of Web servers use less to make it look like
you're getting better performance. (You see the Web page arrive in chunks).
Telnet sends one character per packet, by default, which adds up to 64
bytes on an Ethernet segment (it requires padding). DHCP packets are often
about 200-300. Routing protocols vary. RIP uses 512. Others use 1500. SMTP
varies. It will send 1500 bytes if the message is that long, but often it's
not.

In other words, you need to know the application to answer the question. I
have always claimed, in fact, that an average packet size if a somewhat
useless statistic. What you really want to know is if applications are
sending what you expect them to send. (This requires doing a baseline
analysis.)

In my Top-Down Network Design book, I provide quite a few examples of
packet sizes for typical applications. That might help you.

>dlsw is 512

Really? Why does DLSW use only a 512-byte packet? FTP and HTTP would often
have to be fragmented if that were the case. I used to know DLSW but I
don't any more....

Priscilla

>I am taking my lab soon and I would love some help.
>Reagrds
>Zape

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com