I've been reading up on the proxy-arp and have found 2 uses for it.

1. When you don't have a default gateway on a host, and the router sends
it's MAC address to the host on an ARP request thereby having the host send
the packet for another network to the router which will then forward it on.
(Boy was that a run-on sentence or what?)

2. All hosts are configured with one subnet-mask (such as /24) and the
router has a smaller subnet mask for each interface (such as /28). Proxy-arp
works so that the subnetted network topology is transparent to the hosts.
(See Illustration on page 71 of Jeff Doyle's CCIE Volume 1)

My questions arise around the 2nd use. First why would anyone want to use
such a setup? I was thinking maybe to divide a network while keeping address
space, but after pondering that for longer thanI should have realized that
wouldn't save any address space after all.

If you did use such a setup what problems could arise? For instance let's
say a host on one subnet sent a broadcast message to it's subnet, would the
router forward it to the other subnet?

Maybe I'll sleep on the subject some and do some more research later, but it
would be nice to know if there are any real-world examples of this being
implmented.

Robert Fowler