Hello group,

I am trying to write a script in perl to monitor interface errors and total
traffic during work hours. I'm doing an snmpwalk to get the info. I want the
total amount of packets in and out of an interface so I can calculate the %
of errors on the line.

Cisco says on their site : http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/5.html

that
      ifInNUcastPkts (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.12) are counts of inbound broadcast
and multicast packets

      ifOutUcastPkts (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.17) are counts of outbound
broadcast and multicast packets

besides In and Out whats the difference? I thought Ucast meant unicast and
NUcast meant broadcast and multicast.
When queried, every int gives NUcast and Ucast which are different values.
How could Cisco define them as the same.

Is this a misprint?
Lastly I'm assuming that total packets would be the sum of the 2(unicast +
multicast/broadcast).
Is this assumption correct?

ps i don't want ifOutOctets  because i want the # of packets not bytes.

thankd