You could make use of the fact that a bridge just forwards traffic without
changing the MAC address, whereas a router decapsulates the packet from the
Layer 2 header and re-encapsulates, using its own MAC address. Assuming you
have a topology like this:

hosts-----2500e0------e04000-----hosts

Do a show arp on the 2500 and 4000. In a routed network, you would just see
the other router on the e0 interfaces. In a bridged network, you'll see the
hosts' MAC addresses.

Priscilla

At 02:56 AM 3/19/02, dovelet wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Our company's network are connected using some Cisco 2500 and Cisco 4000
>routers. As we need to cater some non-routable protocols, bridging is also
>enabled at all routers. I would like to know, is there any methods to
>monitor which hosts are using bridging through the routers? Of course, I can
>use a sniffer to capture the traffic, but the network is too large for us to
>do so.
>
>Please advise.
>
>Regards,
>Dovelet