Sorry if this is obvious. My network:
Router ---NortelFW--Lan1--router--router--Lan2--NortelFW--Router
RIP is running on the both Firewalls and both internal routers. Both
NortelFW are advertising their default route (out their connected external
router). Users on both Lans are using their closest internal router as their
default gateway.
I had hoped that the internal routers would learn of both default routes and
select the nearest Firewall as their default route. If anything happened to
one of the local loops, I could switch off the connected firewall, which
would end the rip advertisements, and the network would eventually reroute
all external traffic out the working Internet link.
I could've sworn that this was working in my test environment and for at
least a week in production. Now both internal routers are selecting one
default route or the other but not necessarily the best (hop count) route.
Daaaaaa whats wrong with this approach? Firewalls aren't routers....??