My understanding is what your seeing is correct.  Your client boots up
and is braindead, does a bootp request.  Router, with ip-helper address
configured, forwards. (routes) bootp request to server with it's own
address as the source.  Bootp server gets request and routes brains back
to router which hands it over to soon to be smarter client.

  The cat operates at layer 2 in which casse the helper address is
irrelevant.

  Dave

--
David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"