I have setup and managed both PIX and Checkpoint in a
variety of environments.  I think they are both solid
options in different situations.  Here is how I market
these products.

PIX
- more cost effective
- fast
- you can have fail over
- Can be more complicated to setup the CLI, but PIX
has a nice feature of allowing all traffic out and
none in by default.

Who would I market this for?
I would target this as an ideal candidate for small
companies with rulesets that don't change much.  They
also need a Cisco savy person to manage it, usually a
consultant.  I am guessing you would fill this role.
I have only made minor changes in the firewall I have
managed for almost two years.

Checkpoint
- nice GUI for ruleset management
- more expensive
- required to know Unix or NT ( for the love of God
don't use NT.  Its security is very poor out of the
box and requires a great deal of configuration to
become mildly secure )

Who would I market this toward?
I would target larger companies with Checkpoint.  It
is easier to manage the ruleset, but more setup time
and more costly.  I would also say this solution is
slightly slower and more prone to security issues
since you have to patch the OS and the firewall
software.

--- Jeffrey Reed  wrote:
> Has anyone performed or seen an in depth study of
> PIX vs Checkpoint? I have
> a customer who is looking at both. Ive read various
> magazine articles, but
> nothing from real people such as this group! :)
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Jeffrey Reed
> Classic Networking, Inc.
> Cell 717-805-5536