Racktime - Pros:

Far less expensive than buying; generally reliable equipment;  ready made
topology; very small footprint(!);  available from any remote location;

Racktime - Cons:

Fixed timeslots mean lack of flexibility in practice; often a waiting
list for access;

Buying - Pros:

Availabe 24/7; investment (can be sold on); physical access

Buying - Cons:

Expensive outlay; large footprint;

On balance buying is better in my view.  In the long run the advantages
outweigh the disadvantages, and you can always sell the kit on to recover
most of the expense.

Regards,

Ben

Ben Lovegrove, CCNP

Redspan Solutions Ltd Web: www.redspan.com & www.bensbookmarks.com Tel:
+44 (0)2392 492010 Fax: +44 (0)870 460 2156 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cisco hardware, software, accessories, and certification tips >From:
"Mckenzie Bill" >Reply-To: "Mckenzie Bill" >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Buy Vs. Virtual Rack Time for CCIE [7:40100] >Date: Mon, 1 Apr
2002 16:46:10 -0500 > >I'm looking for comments about preparing for the
CCIE Lab Exam. > >Do you NEED to buy the equipment to build a home lab,
or is it possible to >be enough prepared by practicing totally through
renting rack time? (and in >this dream world, money isn't an issue) > >I
would really like to hear feedback about this. > >Thanks >Bill Mckenzie,
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]