Group,

The Pix 501 is running the default NAT/PAT configuration.  Through it, I can
check email using Outlook to talk to an Exchange Server, telnet and SSH to
devices, and browse the web provided I type in the ip address of the web
server.  All requests for URL translation by a DNS server fail.  The IP
configuration (addresses, gateways, DNS servers) are correct.  The Pix is
direct to the cloud with only one PC behind it.

Using Debug Packet, I have confirmed that requests for DNS translations go
out and come back to the Pix (on the outside interface), but they do not
seem to make it back to the host that originated the request.  The code is
6.1(1), and I have contacted TAC.  With SSH, TAC has inspected the box and
cannot see a problem with the configuration.  Nor can they explain why this
is occuring.  Before sending it back to Cisco for a replacement, I thought I
would ask here to see if anyone has run across this.

There are no access-lists or conduit statements, but Cisco (the Pix
literature) and Cisco Press (Cisco Secure PIX Firewalls) say that they are
unnecessary for this very simple setup.

My thanks in advance for your time and input.

Regards,

Justin