Don't forget the "ca save all" command to save the key once you generate it.
Otherwise it will go away when you reboot the PIX.

Rik

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Odette II [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 2:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: SSH RSA key [7:40297]

John, I have some new info, but also some info that we were told via the
list response last yesterday.

1. From the Cisco PIX FW Command Reference for 6.1:
" The 'ca generate rsa' command is not saved in the PIX Firewall
configuration.  However, the keys generated by this command are saved in a
persistent data file in Flash memory, which can be viewed with the 'show ca
mypubkey rsa' command." Page 3-10
-- the 'show ca mypubkey rsa' command is what you issue to view your SSH RSA
key.  It should actually show you two keys, which are labeled : General
Purpos Key, and Encryption Key.... i.e., Public/Private key pair.

2. From the same reference:
"Note- You must generate an RSA Key-Pair for the PIX Firewall before clients
can connect to the PIX Firewall Console.  To use SSH, your PIX Firewall must
hae a DES or 3DES activation key installed." Page 7-17

3.From the same reference:
"The 'SHOW FLASHFS' command displays the size in bytes of each filesystem
sector and the current state of the filessystem.  The data in each sector is
as follows:

*file 0 - PIX FW binare image, wher ethe .bin file is stored.
*file 1 - PIX FW config data that you can view with the 'show config'
command.
*file 2 - PIX FW datafile that stores IPSec key and certificate information.
*file 3 - 'FlashFs downgrade' information for the 'show flashfs' command.
Page 4-34

Now interestingly enough, it doesn't mention anything about what "File 4"
is, as shown by the following output on my personal PIX:

cisco-pix# show flashfs
flash file system:  version:2  magic:0x12345679
  file 0: origin:       0 length:2469944
  file 1: origin: 2490368 length:4183
  file 2: origin:       0 length:0
  file 3: origin: 2621440 length:3528136
  file 4: origin: 7864320 length:280
cisco-pix#

.............. and if you notice, "File 2" seems blank, yet I have generated
an RSA key, and then reconnected to my PIX with an SSH client to get the
output of the Show FlashFS command.  I suspect the RSA key data is being
kept in the "File 4" of my PIX Flash filesystem.

for a Cisco Router, I'm not sure where the RSA key data is kept, but I would
not be surprised if it is kept on the Flash Filesystem there too.  Of
course, watch me be wrong, and it's kept in NVRAM.

Hope that answered your questions.

-Mark Odette II