Which  operating systems?

On windows the most common way to to disable services from the control
panel. Do a netstat -an to see which ports are open. Then you can shutdown
services that have those ports open.

On UNIX/LINUX you can do the same netstat -an. Most of the services can be
disabled in inetd.conf or xinted.conf. Just comment them out and restart
inetd daemon. Also services are started from startup scripts  which are in
different locations on different versions of UNIX and Linux.

""Charlie""  wrote in message
> Hello, all :-)
>
> I was hoping one (or many) of you could help me with a question I have:
how