Hi,

You did not paste your configs, but they should be similar to below:

On the 3524 switch
========================
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk

On the 3524, use the following command:
========================
show interface g0/1 switchport
In the display, check the Operational Mode and the Operational Trunking
Encapsulation fields

On the 6509 switch
========================
set trunk 7/2 nonegotiate dot1q

The 6509 trunk should be set to "nonegotiate" mode as the 3524 does not
participate in DTP.
DTP (dynamic trunk protocol) negotiates the two ends of the link to a
compatible mode, reducing the possibility of incompatibility when
configuring a link.

When connecting a trunk port to a non DTP device, use the non-negotiate
option on the DTP-capable device so that the switch port does not generate
DTP frames.

On the 6509, you should see something similar to this:
========================
Console> (enable) show trunk

* - indicates vtp domain mismatch
Port      Mode         Encapsulation  Status        Native vlan
--------  -----------  -------------  ------------  -----------
7/2       nonegotiate  dot1q            trunking      1

Port      Vlans allowed on trunk
--------
7/2      1-1005,1025-4094

Port      Vlans allowed and active in management domain
--------
7/2

Port      Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
--------
7/2

Or it could be UDLD working it's magic...try the above first...

Hope it helps,

Daryl Wan
CCIE #7261, CSS1, CCDP, CCSE, MSCE, FCNE, yada yada yada.....