The minimum size for an Ethernet frame is 64 bytes. This includes the
Ethernet header and FCS, but not the preamble or inter-frame gap. The
minimum Ethernet frame size has to do with the ability of a sender to
recognize a collision reflecting back from the other side of a
maximum-sized Ethernet segment, while still sending the frame.

The minimum size for Token Ring is 18 bytes, if I recall. This includes the
header and FCS, but not the starting or ending delimiter or the frame
status byte.

I didn't know IP had a minimum, although RFC 791 does say that "Every
internet destination must be able to receive a datagram of 576 octets
either in one piece or in fragments to be reassembled."

Priscilla

At 04:05 PM 4/10/02, Larry Letterman wrote:
>64 bytes ...
>
>Priscilla is this correct...
>

>Larry Letterman
>Cisco Systems