From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Matthew Tayler
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 12:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How fast do bits travel ? [7:41192]

Ok I have spent ages trying to find an answer to this question, and probably
only added to my confusion. You know how it is you spend ages looking at
something and become snow blind or get tunnel vision or whatever, but I
cannot see the answer to the following:

How far does a bit travel in say 1 second or put another way how long does a
bit take to travel a certain distance ?

I understand, or think I do that if the line is say 128kbps then I can, in
theory at least, expect 128,000 (approx) bits start down that line every
second.

But how long do they take to reach the other end, assuming a point to point
link and both ends being the same speed, obviously.

There has to be a nice simple formula for this somewhere, you know the sort
of thing x= line speed, y = distance z = time etc

Any ideas or poitners would be appreciated

Thanks