First, I wonder who comes up with these terms?  Collapsed backbone
sounds like something that needs the immediate attention of an
orthopedist or chiropractor, while "router on a stick" sounds like
something from the Autobiography of Vlad the Impaler.

At 3:49 AM -0400 4/14/02, Georg Pauwen wrote:
>Hi Ismail,
>
>here is what I found on CCO:
>
>%A collapsed backbone has high-bandwidth uplinks from all segments and
>subnetworks to a single device, such as a Gigabit switch, which serves as a
                                  ^^^^^^^
First key point. The backbone or core device is defined by topology
rather than product line.  That point being made, it is true that
Cisco does position products for access, distribution, and core
applications generally based on the requirements of large
enterprises.  But a core switch could be quite slow and small, if
everything else in the network is small and slow, yet still be a
reasonable design approach.

>single point for monitoring and controlling the network%.

Second point: as defined, it's also a single point of failure.  With
a campus network large enough to justify a gigabit switch in a core,
this is a bad idea. It's usually better to plan on at least two
physical switches that normally loadshare (e.g., switch 1 is the
primary for odd-numbered VLANs and switch 2 is the primary for
even-numbered), but either can take over the entire load.

--
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not